Thursday, August 5, 2010

March: Birthday Madness

March 3, 2010

Happy 5th Birthday Ingrid and Helen! We celebrated their birthday with the first friend’s party for them – we invited several of their friends and schoolmates to come to a party at Pump it Up (with inflatable slides and stuff). They had a HUGE BLAST!!!! There were a few tears with heads knocking together on the play equipment, but nothing major. They were SO excited and had a great time with all their freinds.





My proudest accomplishment is their cakes. They REALLY wanted a cake they saw at Target that’s made with a Barbie doll that has a dress made of out of cake. But I am WAY to cheap to pay $40 each for them! (especially spending money one the party!). So I ventured into a new world of the arts: Cake making.
They turned out AWESOME! I cheated by buying fondant from Joanne’s, so really it was SO EASY. I used the pampered Chef Large measure bowl to bake a cake mix in (I did practice one time a week ahead just baking a mix in the measuring cup so I knew how to adjust the baking time etc.). Then I also make a cake mix in to 9” round pans. So in the end, The dress was 3 layers. I put the rounds on bottom and the Pampered Chef cone shape on top with frosting between (you can bet I store bought the frosting though!). Then cut about a 1” diam. hole in the middle for the doll to go into. (But I didn’t put her in yet) I frosted the whole outside for taste. Finally, I colored some of the fondant and rolled it into a big circle with a rolling pin and draped it over the top, then folded it to look like a drapey dress and trimmed the bottom with a butter knife. I rolled and cut some white fondant scallop style and used water to adhere it to the bottom side of the dress to look like a petticoat. Then I put the doll in the top (her bottom wrapped in foil so as not to get cake on!). I made fondant sashes in the style of Princess Aurora’s dress and Cinderella’s dress to cover the visible part of the hole. And VUALA! WOW! I couldn’t believe how they turned out! Even if I was up all night, it was SO fun! Ingrid and Helen LOVED them of course and we had just been to Disney World and Aurora and Cinderella were their favorites.


No comments:

Post a Comment