Thursday, August 19, 2010

March: Just your everyday average chaos

March 26, 2010

It is amazing how well-behaved the big girls are when they are not together. Today, Helen went with Dad to get a new battery for my car. Ingrid stayed home with me and the babies and it was SO PEACEFUL! Meanwhile, I played at home with Helen and the babies. Ok, I mostly played with Helen and the babies played with themselves. They had a great time exploring the play kitchen in our loft while Helen sat on my lap. She has become very clingy to me the last few days. She went through a period like this a few months ago too…except she was being better-behaved then. Perhaps the nicer behavior will come with the attachment this time. We also played her comoputer Cinderella game – she made me an almond cake and a very hideous green and purple dress (why the game has a green/purple option, I am not sure). When dad got home we all went for a walk and I got to escape for a few hours at the end of the day to work on finishing up the babies’ ‘first-year’ calendars! There are few days that are so enjoyable, but this was one.



We have been trying something else lately…a penny jar. It is just the tiniest babyfood jar with Ingid’s name on, and one with Helen’s name on. Whenever they do something good, ANYTHING good, I drop in a penny through a slit in the lid and let them know they did something good. I do so as often as possible! When they hang up their jackets, when they say sorry to sister (in a nice way!), when they do something I ask, when they don’t tattle after sister was rude to them. When they help by bringing me a blanket or cleaning up a toy. When the penny jars are full and we can’t fit any more pennies in, they get to pick a fun place to go or thing to do! (movie theater, zoo, waterpark, beach, whatever!) So far, it has been working quite well – it helps me remember to praise them, and you don’t feel like your bribing them as with treats, or a sticker chart. Pennies for everyone! Tomorrow we are going to the waterpark with them while grandma sits the babies…I’m pumped!

Sunday morning Helen had another fit about cutting her hair. She says her bangs bother her and she wants to cut them off (and has in the past…leaving little stubby 1/2 inch bangs on her forehead to cover with a headband). So for an hour she cried, yelled and tried to get every scissors in the house – which I had to keep moving to more discreet, higher or more lockable locations! And people must wonder why we can’t make it to church on time now that all our kids are all at least a year old. We did end up going to Culvers because church was practically over by the time we were in the car. But, we were all dressed and ready to go in the car – I guess might as well take the opportunity to do SOMETHING, eh?


Nora and Stella enjoy going outside! I guess we need to rake the leaves finally!

Stella & Nora pose for a picture!

Stella and Nora sport real shoes for the first time!


Ingrid, Stella, Helen, & Nora


Helen & Ingrid helped plant seeds to start for our vegetable garden!

Other milestones this month:

March 19 – Stella gets her first molar!


March 25 – Helen sounds out and writes ‘HAT’ on the chalk board all by herself!

March 25 – Ingrid sounds out and writes ‘LIP’ on the chalkboard all by herself!

Then they teamed up to add the 'glos'!

No comments:

Post a Comment